Adipex is the trade name for generic drug Phentermine used as weight loss medication. It has been classified under schedule IV drugs (prescription only drug). It reduces the weight by suppressing one’s appetite. It is categorized under the drug class of Anorexiants and CNS stimulants. Teva Pharmaceuticals has been manufacturing Adipex and its generic medication.
How one can identify Adipex?
Adipex is available in tablet and capsule form.
One can identify this drug by using the below identification details:
- The tablet comes in Blue and white specks with the shape of either oval or elliptical. One can notice the imprint of “ADIPEX” on one side of the tablet with “9 9” on the other side.
- The capsule comes in blue and white combination with “Adipex-p 37.5” on the outer walls of the capsule.
Information of Adipex
The active ingredients in Adipex react with brain and suppress the appetite feeling. Basically, the chemical reaction of this medication releases epinephrine and norepinephrine which results in breaking down of stored fat tissues in the body. It should be taken only for short term. Mostly one could start losing weight after 12 weeks of consumption. By ninth month, one could see significant weight loss due to this pill.
Administration of Adipex
- One should take Adipex as per their doctor’s instruction. It is advised to have only the prescribed dosage of this pill. It should be administered orally before or after the food.
- The fat content food would slow down the working process of the medication. So, it is better to avoid taking foods which is rich in fat.
- It should be stored at room temperature and kept away from moisture and sunlight.
- One should not take Adipex more than the prescribed level.
- Avoid abrupt termination of this pill as it would cause severe withdrawal symptoms.
- This medication should not be consumed with alcohol as it affects the drug’s efficacy.
Warnings for Adipex usage
Adipex should not be taken if a person having a health condition
- Any heart-related disease
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Have taken MAO inhibitor before 14 days
- History of drug abuse
- Any surgical history
- Liver disease
- High blood pressure
- Kidney disease
If you have an allergic reaction towards the active ingredient in Adipex, better inform your doctor about this.
It should not be taken during pregnancy time. It would cause fetal harm.
This drug is not safe during breastfeeding phase as it would pass into the milk and affect the nursing baby’s health.
- The dosing level will differ with individuals. It is advised to take the recommended strength of Adipex to lose weight.
- In general, 18.75mg – 37.5mg of Adipex can be taken as a daily dosage. It is the standard strength for adults. It is not recommended for children below 17 years of old.
- If you forget to take any dose, it is better to skip that particular dosage of Adipex. Do not take any compensation dose of this medication as it might make you overdose.
- In case, if you overdose with Adipex pill, you need to get immediate help from the nearby hospital.
Though this medication will work effectively to lose weight, it has several unpleasant side effects.
A person who is encountering the below side effects is advised to seek medical help from your physician.
- Shortness of breath
- Mood swings
- Changes in vision
- Restless or hyperactivity
- A headache
- Dizziness and drowsiness
- Changes in sex desire
- Stomach pain
- Sleep disorder
Drug interaction will happen if Adipex is taken along with any of below medication
- Any other diet pills,
- Nitrate content medication,
- Pills for treating kidney, liver or heart disease,
- Any other CNS suppressant drugs.